JACKSONVILLE, Fla.—VISTAKON, a division of Johnson & Johnson Vision Care, Inc. announced that Acuvue Oasys with Hydraclear Plus is now available in a plano lens for therapeutic use (8.4 mm base curve), and will be promoted to eyecare professionals by the VISTAKON Pharmaceuticals, LLC sales force.
The U.S. Food & Drug Administration (FDA) granted an additional indication for Acuvue Oasys in October, 2007, approving the lens for therapeutic use as a bandage lens for certain acute and chronic ocular conditions. Acuvue Oasys for therapeutic use can also provide vision correction during healing if required. FDA approval of Acuvue Oasys for therapeutic use as a bandage lens includes the following acute and chronic ocular conditions:
- For corneal protection in lid and corneal abnormalities such as entropion, trichiasis, tarsal scars and recurrent corneal erosion. In addition, it is indicated for protection where sutures or ocular structure malformation, degeneration or paralysis may result in the need to protect the cornea.
- For corneal pain relief in conditions such as bullous keratopathy, epithelial erosion and abrasion, filamentary keratitis, post-keratoplasty.
- For use as a barrier during the healing process of epithelial defects such as chronic epithelial defects, corneal ulcer, neurotrophic and neuroparalytic keratitis, and chemical burns.
- For post surgical conditions where bandage lens use is indicated such as post refractive surgery, lamellar grafts, corneal flaps, and ocular surgical conditions.
- For structural stability and protection in piggy back lens fitting where the cornea and associated surfaces are too irregular to allow for corneal rigid gas permeable lenses to be fit.
For more information, call (800) 843-2020 or go to