Welcome to the 2010...
This year at Labapalooza we’re taking Andy Karp’s tradition of parodying a rock n’ roll classic and putting it into your hands! Bring your lab’s creative side alive by writing and entering your own lyrics in the 2010 Lab Rock Lyric Contest. You may recall past parodies such as Takin’ Care of Lab Business, Free Formin’, and My Generator and now it’s your turn to join Labapalooza rock-stardom. This year’s parody songs are Sweet Lab O' Mine (Sweet Child O' Mine by Guns N’ Roses) or Addicted to Labs (Addicted to Love by Robert Palmer). Rewrite either song’s lyrics to portray life as a Laboratory Technician or depict any lab related topic. To help get the process rolling we’ve supplied you with optional lyrics for both songs. Feel free to incorporate what we’ve written or completely come up with your own set of lyrics.
If chosen, representatives from your lab will be invited to perform the song with the members of the Eye Rock Band during Labapalooza. The performance will also be video taped and displayed on the Vision Monday's Web TV, the Labapalooza website, and YouTube. The winning lyrics will also be displayed on the Labapalooza website! Please submit all lyrics by emailing them to LabRock@jobson.com. Please format your email submissions as follows:
- Title the subject line of your email the name of the song you've chosen to parody followed by Lab Rock Lyric Contest, for example “Sweet Lab O' Mine – Lab Rock Lyric Contest”
- Include your name
- The name and location of your lab
- Your phone number and a contact email address
- Copy and paste your lyrics into the body of the email or attach them in a Microsoft Word document.
you are agreeing to the Official Rules for the contest.
To read the Official Rules, please click here.
The deadline for the contest is September 17th so get writing and send us your lyrics! A few of Andy's past parodies' lyrics and Mp3s have been made available on the Lab Rock Hall of Fame page. Please reference these to help give you an idea of the parodying process. Good luck! If you have any questions or concerns please contact Andy Karp at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Choose from either Sweet Lab O' Mine (Sweet Child O' Mine by Guns N’ Roses) or Addicted to Labs (Addicted to Love by Rob Palmer)
- Rewrite the lyrics
- Reference past parodies and use our pre-written lyrics for inspiration
- Submit the lyrics to LabRock@jobson.com by September 17th
- Rock out at Labapalooza!!!