EyeIC Intros New Technology for Monitoring Advent and Progression of Retinal Disease and Glaucoma
Top Line: MatchedFlicker is a new technology for monitoring the advent and progression of retinal disease and glaucoma through change detection in time series images. It was developed by EyeIC, a medical technology firm dedicated to commercializing imaging technologies for medical applications.
Close Up: MatchedFlicker software uniquely enables one-button generation of an animated view of disease progression (i.e., automates ‘spot the difference’) from a pair of still images uploaded by clinician or technician to a secure, HIPAA website. Animations are currently accessible from most any internet-connected computer, and will soon be viewable (or shared) as downloadable animated GIF images. Users can immediately detect even very subtle differences that are easy to miss using standard side by side image comparison. The system enables better patient education, leading to increased awareness/engagement, according to EyeIC.
Other features include:
Vital Stats: By visiting
www.eyeic.com, interested clinicians can access supporting publications, webinars and take a challenge. They can also sign up for a free, no credit card, two-week trial. Demonstrations and tutorials are also available from the company.
- Published clinical data from fundus photos for glaucoma and retinal disease (ROP, AMD)
- Technology based on landmark study done at Univ. of Pennsylvania; EyeIC owns the exclusive license to issued patents covering this.
- FDA 510(k)/CE mark obtained, product is available through EyeIC website (pricing starts at $80/mo with discounted annual and group pricing).
- A marketing partnership with Eyemaginations has just become available to their subscribers as an add-on.
- Existing subscribers from around the world (US, EU, Brazil), both ophthalmologists and optometrists. In use by private practices and in telemedicine applications. Users have experienced enhanced patient satisfaction and revenues.
EyeIC is a leading provider of web-based medical image analysis tools, initially for applications in eyecare. The MatchedFlicker system is a 510(k) FDA-cleared subscription-based platform that enables clinicians to quickly compare ‘before and after’ images of the back of the eye to enable diagnosis and management of diseases such as glaucoma, diabetic retinopathy and macular degeneration. The system automatically matches two images, superimposes them, and then alternately ‘flickers’ them back and forth so that any differences appear as motion to the user. These animated images can be used to quickly and accurately detect subtle changes resulting from eye disease and can also serve to improve education of patients about their disease progression and treatment plan, particularly when there has been no loss of visual function. The clinical utility of MachedFlicker compared to the gold standard side-by-side analysis has been the subject of numerous peer-reviewed papers in major ophthalmic journals and has been presented at research conferences such as ARVO.
Diversified Ophthalmics and MidSouth Debut New Sites, With Expanded Ordering Options
Product: New websites offer a wealth of resources and educational material about the wide range of products and services offered. Each division of Diversified and its affiliates (wholesale lab, soft contact lenses, buying group, frames, gas permeable lenses, solutions & supplies, equipment, technology services, printing, office supplies, practice enrichment and Practice Maximus) has their own mini website built into the new DivOpt.com.
Diversified Ophthalmics along with its affiliate,
MidSouth Premier Ophthalmics recently debuted a new, contemporary site which offers easier, more state-of-the-art navigation and enhanced ordering capabilities.
Close Up: Diversified’s site features include a press release section, iCal Interactive Calendar (an optional download of events into Microsoft Outlook), social media links with a Facebook feed to the home page, YouTube videos, and a Classifieds section. The site also has a secure server portal which provides protection for ordering and account information by the thousands of Diversified and MidSouth accounts.
DivOpt.com soft lens online ordering now offers four ways to place ‘Ship To Office’ orders; (1) grid ordering for ordering multiple powers of the same lens at once, (2) patient ordering, (3) stock ordering to quickly order lenses, and (4) UPC ordering supporting UPC bar code scanning. Future plans include merging the website of Firestone Optics, based in Kansas City, Mo., which was acquired in January, 2013.
Vital Stats: The Frame Gallery is a feature that allows the viewer to view slides of newly released frame collections, enlarging the images so that the fine details of the frames are visible. A second phase of the new DivOpt.com launched July 20 and based on an extensive survey of its customers, Diversified incorporated new and improved ordering features. Customers can now complete patient orders faster with features that allow them to reorder from past patient history, order the right lens and the left lens at the same time or copy one from the other if the refractive error is the same in both eyes. Patient and shipping information can be edited and viewed at any point in the ordering process.
Solutionreach Launches App for Digital Patient Check-In
Top Line: Solutionreach is releasing PatientReach, a digital application designed to improve the patient check-in process. Healthcare practices can download PatientReach onto an iPad, transforming it into an automated system for gathering patient information. The iPads are distributed to incoming patients, who then begin a simplified check-in process.
Close Up: Beyond providing a more enjoyable experience for the patient, PatientReach has other significant benefits for the practice:
“PatientReach streamlines the whole check-in process,” said Jim Higgins, Solutionreach CEO. “It improves patient engagement by helping practices stay centered on their patient’s entire experience from the moment they walk in for their appointment.”
- PatientReach boosts practice efficiency by allowing the patient to update insurance information, read and sign legal forms, submit patient reviews and much more right from the doctor’s waiting room. The digital intake provides legible documentation, ensuring accuracy and data validity. The paperless PatientReach method eliminates the need for printing, scanning and shredding documents previously distributed on a clipboard.
- PatientReach also lets patients sign up for the online patient portal, where they can pay bills, schedule appointments, send or receive secure messages, and change their correspondence preferences at any time.
- Additionally, patients can select from a customized group of healthcare articles that are then emailed to the patient to read at their convenience. The articles engage patients with point-of-care education and encourage them to take a more active role in their health care.
Vital Stats: PatientReach is available for download in the Apple App store and is designed to work on iPad 2 and above as well as the iPad Mini.
TOOLS / SUPPLIES
New Milling Head for Schneider HSC and HSK Generators
Product: PCD Milling Head for Schneider HSC and HSK Lens Generation
Top Line: EHWA Diamond Industrial, through its North American affiliate, General Tool, has introduced a 12 tooth PCD milling head for use on Schneider HSC and HSK Lens Generators.
Close Up: The unique design of the tool results in a superior finish on all types of lens materials, according to EHWA. In addition, the tool life is two to three times longer than similar tools.
Vital Stats: EHWA Diamond Industrial Company Ltd is the fourth largest diamond tool company in the world. They offer a broad line of diamond tools for a variety of optical applications across a broad spectrum of laboratory optical equipment.
www.ehwadia.com; (949) 261-2322;